Monday, April 20, 2009

JOSH CARROLL – Making the Team was a Snap


Josh Carroll came to JSU as a Preferred Walk-On his freshman season and earned a spot on the roster as the long and short snapper. Then as a junior they moved him to backup center but still continued to short snap for field goals and extra points. Moving into his final season at JSU, he has played in every game since he started - 33 games to date. Josh has been one of the unsung players on the team but has contributed in every game he has played by not missing a long or short snap.

Josh is an excellent example of the JSU student/athlete. Gamecockillustrated.com recently talked with him by phone to ask a few questions.

Q: How did you end up coming to JSU?
A: I knew former Gamecock LB Devin Phillips from high school. Coach Adam Ross recruited me, and I had connections with him too from church over the years. I came to JSU as a Preferred Walk-On.

Q: How long did it take you to get playing time?
A: I ended up winning the long-snapping spot for my freshman year.

Q: Did you play that same position in high school?
A: I did. I played offensive line in high school, and my niche was long and short-snapping for punts, field goals, and extra points.

Q: What’s the most difficult part of long or short snapping?
A: It’s the pressure to be perfect every single time. When does the snapper get recognized? It’s when there’s a mistake. You can’t miss.

Q: What is the best thing about playing football at Jacksonville State?
A: The best thing is the camaraderie. This is a close team with a family atmosphere. We’ve bonded well as a team, especially over the last couple of years. I feel like the closeness of the team will help us to win a championship.

Q: Do you see your leadership role changing as a senior?
A: Yes, definitely. As a younger player, leadership is really leading yourself. As an upperclassman, it becomes a responsibility. The younger players look up to you because of your age and time in the program. You show them the way. As seniors, we will set the example.

Q: Tell me about your academics.
A: I’m majoring in Industrial Technology Management. I have a 3.55 GPA.

Q: I know you have some academic achievements. What are they? (Josh is modest, I had to prod him on this)
A: Twice I was named to the OVC Commissioner’s Honor Roll. I’ve been Dean’s List or President’s List all but one semester.

Q: What did you learn from the Tech game last year?
A: The speed of the game was faster. It surprised us, and it took us too long to adjust. We’ll do more to be ready this year. We’ll have a fighting chance. I know someone from my high school that will be playing for Tech. Being from Georgia, I’m really looking forward to playing this game again.

Q: Next you have the FSU game. What do you think about that?
A: That will be a great opportunity. It’s a once in a lifetime experience.

Q: What college team did you like growing up?
A: I liked Ga Tech and UGA. Growing up, I never really chose between one or the other. I always pulled for the underdog. Now, I’m a UGA fan. We play Tech, so I can’t pull for them.

Q: What would you say your goals are for the coming year?
A: First and foremost, a championship. We missed winning the OVC last year by 4 points. I still think about that. We want the championship.
Secondly, my goal is to be the best I can be.
If I have a third, it is to have fun.

Q: Last spring, we had no quarterbacks on the roster. This year, we have three that have been in the program for 1 season. What difference does that make in building toward next year?
A: It’s huge. First of all, the offense functions better. We should be way ahead of last year because we can work on things like timing of hand-offs, pass routes, and blocking. It will all be better.


Q: Do you have any brothers or sisters?
A: I have an 8 year old sister named Amanda and a 23 year old brother, Ben.

Q: Do you watch much TV?
A: I watch a lot of TV. My favorite shows are probably Family Guy and The Office.

Q: What do you tell someone that may want to play college football?
A: Be ready to put in the time. Between practices, games, weight-training, meetings and watching film, you’re looking at a 6-day work week. You have to balance your time carefully to take care of your academics and football.

Thanks Josh. Good luck in the upcoming season.

JSU 86

No comments:

Post a Comment