Thursday, February 4, 2010

Armani Williams Article

Here is an article from the Daily News in Florida on JSU signee Armani Williams


Navarre's Williams lands with Jacksonville State
February 03, 2010 6:05 PM
Travis Downey
Daily News
NAVARRE — Armani Williams knew that Wednesday would be a day he wouldn’t soon forget the moment he awoke. But shortly after he arrived for class at Navarre, everything changed.

After originally planning to sign his letter of intent to play college football at the University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Williams, Navarre’s hulking defensive lineman, received some good news as his original first love, Jacksonville State, had decided to offer a full scholarship.

Just like that, Williams was a Gamecock.

Click here to view a Photo Gallery of Williams' signing.

“I had hoped they would (offer) but they waited,” Williams said. “I had told myself I was going to Pine Bluff and I was okay with that … I loved it there too, but the big difference is my whole dream was to play top-notch, championship football and when I got to Jacksonville State, it was a no-brainer at the end of the day.”

As a senior, Williams registered 55 tackles with four forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, five tackles for a loss and four quarterback sacks, a stat that currently ranks tied for second all-time in Navarre football history.

Perhaps just as importantly, Raiders coach Chad Lashley credited Williams for becoming both the vocal and physical leader Navarre needed as it closed the season by winning three of its final five games.

“He really matured and played with great effort his senior year,” Lashley said. “The biggest thing he brought to the table was his effort and leadership. That was his greatest impact.”

As friends, family and teammates filed into the Navarre library, Williams called his signing day an opportunity for him to thank those who helped him reach a lifelong goal.

“The way I look at it is, this is due to the great coaching I’ve had and the support of everybody,” Williams said. “It’s my way of saying, ‘We all made it,’ it wasn’t just me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment