Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Interview with Brandt Thomas



BRANDT THOMAS - ANCHOR OF THE GAMECOCK DEFENSE

Coach Crowe concluded Tuesday's scrimmage by stating: "You can always talk about Brandt Thomas. He is a special, special player for us." Thomas, a Senior defensive lineman from Wellborn High School has indeed been a standout for the Gamecocks. He has played in 33 consecutive games for JSU and is a pre-season all OVC selection. Brandt is a rare player that combines maximum effort with great talent and carries himself with class on and off the field. Thomas recently spoke to Gamecockillustrated.com about his career at JSU, the new defensive line coach, his teammates and the prospects for the upcoming season.

Q: How did you wind up at JSU?

A: Well, first of all, my Dad and Brother both played for Jax State. My Dad in the late 70s' and my brother just before I got there. So its always been real big in my family. Throughout my recruiting process, I was contacted by a lot of different schools. For a while, it looked like I was headed to Vanderbilt but . . . Jax State was always high on my list. I knew the kind of tradition they had and the kind of team they had. . . . So I just felt like this would be the best fit for me. It was close to home and my family [and friends] would be able to come watch me play. I saw where this program was headed and I really liked it. I signed on and committed about two or three months before signing day and it’s a decision I have never looked back on and never regretted.

Q: What other schools recruited you?

Auburn recruited me pretty heavily, Alabama [and] of course Vanderbilt. Citadel offered me a scholarship. Furman and Georgia Southern as well.

Q: Coach Augustine left to take another job and you have a new DL Coach, Davern Williams. How has that impacted you?

A: Me and Coach Augustine were very close. I miss him a great deal. We still stay in contact, but I have enjoyed the transition with Coach Williams. Their styles of coaching are completely opposite, but very effective. With the experience we have on the defensive line, I don't think it really matters who was brought in- we would accept anybody at any time. We have a lot of talent. Coach Williams has done a great job of gelling everybody together. Its been a very smooth transition. The future of Jacksonville State's defensive line is in good hands- I promise you that.

Q: You mentioned a difference in style, tell us about that?

A: Coach Williams style is more of read and react type defense - play what you see and then react to it; as opposed to Coach Augustine was more of an attack defense. Both of them have their positives. Our defensive line is suited to play either one very well. Coach Williams has done a great job on bringing us up to speed in just a short amount of time on what we need to do to be successful in that.

Q: Coach Williams played for several years in the NFL. Does that mean anything to you guys?

A: It means a great deal. Coach Williams has played the position and knows where we are coming from a lot of times. He relates to us very well. He speaks in our language and our terms. Everyone is always asking him different questions about the NFL and college. He is very open with us and very responsive. He lets us know the truth whether it is good or bad. He is just an overall good guy and a good person to talk to.

Q: Speaking of the NFL, will you try to make it at the next level?

A: If I'm blessed with the opportunity to do that I would like to. I am just going to see how this season goes . . . talk it over with my family, see what else is out there in life and then I will make that decision at the end of the season, but right now I would say it’s a good possibility.

Q: If that doesn’t pan out, what else is in your plans?

A: I would love to work in sports talk radio or continue to do something [related to] football.

Q: Brandt, what have been some highlights and lowlights of career?

A: My favorite highlight . . . was during my first play of college football against Furman my freshman year. I [came in] on a 4th and goal inside the one yard line and we made the stop. That just showed me what Gamecock Football was all about and reaffirmed that I made the right decision. [Other highlights have been] some of the great guys that I have been able to be around and form friendships with.
Lowlights- obviously the APR would jump out at you. But, I can't sit here and say there has been a lot of lowlights in my career. I have been blessed to be put in some great situations with some great people- great coaches and great teammates. When I leave here, I will leave with a positive outlook on it. I will be happy with what I have accomplished. Even more, I will leave here with a lot of good friends. That is what I will remember the most.

Q: What are the team's goals this year?

A: Our first goal is to go undefeated in the conference. If we can do that, then whoever finishes second will know that they were not the best team, they were not the true OVC champion. That will be satisfaction enough for us. The seniors and upperclassmen have to lead this team in the right direction. If we go out there and play down because we are not going to be able to go to the playoffs, then we can leave this program a year behind. We don't want to do that. We want to leave this program in a great state. We have done a great job of that so far. It is our job as seniors to put the right mindset into the younger guys that even though bad things do happen, you have to keep pressing on and persevering. There has to be something good to happen to us, whether it be going down and beating Tech and Florida State or something [else] you just have to know that out of these bad things something good is going to come out of it.

Q: You were preseason OVC- what did that mean to you and what are your personal goals for the season?

A: Well it did mean a great deal for me, but I have always been taught that team comes first. I just think that I'm the player that I am today because of the people that I have surrounded myself with- whether it be my family, coaches, friends and my teammates. The position I play, noseguard, you have to have so many other people doing their job to make me [succeed]. I thank them for that.
But it is nice to have personal recognition because it makes you feel like all of your hard work and dedication paid off in a way. It meant a lot to be recognized as one of the four top linemen in the OVC.

As for as personal goals [for this year], I don't really have any. I just want to live in the moment and cherish everything that comes to me. . . It would be nice to be an All American and win some other awards, but I can't let that . . . overtake going undefeated in the Conference or doing what we have to do as a team in order to be successful on the field.

Q: What are your strengths as a player?
A: My quickness and my eyes. A lot of times I can call the play for the offense before the snap due to different keys I get from watching film or studying a certain player.

Q: Tell us about some of your teammates.

Jamison Wadley:
A: Jamison Wadley brings us a hard-nose tenacious style of play. He is one of my good friends. He never lets anything bring him down. Jamison is one reason that we are going be the best defensive line, in my mind, in the country this year.

Santez Mays
Santez is a great player and a great athlete, but at the same time he knows how to have fun. Santez brings a lot to our defensive line and he keeps us laughing all of the time.

Michael Ellis
We call Michael Ellis "Spanky." He came in as an offensive lineman and they moved him to defense. He has a chance to be a really good player. Spanky is a very technical player. He plays a good technique. He is a true noseman. He knows how to play his position very well and he will do anything it takes to stand in there at the nose of the 3-4 which is very hard to do.

Demitrio Tyson
We call Trio the luckiest player on the team because sometimes it looks like he doesn't get blocked at all. People just forget he's out there and he makes plays. Trio has a high motor. He is always around the ball. He is a great addition to our defensive line because one of our big things is hustle. You won't find a player that hustles more than Demitrio.

Torrey Davis

He can be as good as he wants to be. He is a great player. He plays well with his hands. He will play in the NFL someday. I can guarantee you that.

Kevin Dix
Kevin Dix has been a great addition to our defense so far. He actually returned punts at his junior college weighing about 240-250. He is really fast and a very good athlete coming off the edge. He is really going to help our team, especially in pass rush situations.

Texas Garrott
Texas is pretty much the same way. Texas is a lot like Trio he is slippery. You can guarantee he is going to be around the ball when the play is over.

Q: Anyone else might be a major contributor?

A: Absolutely. This guy doesn't get talked about a lot because he is quiet, but you will hear his name a lot, Monte Lewis. When it is all said and done and he graduates, he might be the best defensive lineman to ever come through Jacksonville State. He is strong, fast, big and physical. He is everything he needs to be and he is just going to be a redshirt sophomore this year. In my mind, and I've seen a lot of great players, I honestly think he will be the best to ever put on a Jacksonville State defensive lineman uniform.

Q: Who is the hardest hitter on defense?

A: I would say it’s a tie between Alexander Henderson and Carnell Clark because both of them can absolutely ruin someone's day very fast.

Q: Do either of them have a chance to play at the next level?

A: Both of them do. Carnell is a prototypical safety. He is tall, he can run, he's lengthy. He will hit anybody as hard as they have ever been hit. He plays with a reckless abandon. I have seen it first hand- NFL scouts are salivating over him right now.

Q: Lets talk some about the offense. Who are some of the toughest JSU offensive lineman to go up against?

A: It all starts with Reggie Wade, another all conference guy. Reggie is smart, he is quick and he plays well with his hands. In my mind, there is no doubt he is the best Center in our league. It helps us to go up against each other every day.

Besides Reggie, I would also mention Curt Porter. Curt with his size not only intimidates people, but he can also move very well with that big frame that he has. He is another guy to keep an eye on to play at the next level some day because he is very talented.

Q: Who do you think will get that running back job?

A: Brandon George is probably the front runner, but don't be surprised if Andrecus Lindley or Jamal [Young] get in there and play a lot as well.

Q: What about Richard Freelon is he headed for a redshirt?

A: If I had to guess I would say so. He is not getting the same amount of reps as everyone else. He is obviously talented and they want to keep him around as long as possible. He reminds me a lot of Clay Green. He runs hard and also runs fast.

Q: What about the offense in general?

A: I have a lot of faith in Coach Letson. Of course, with Greg [Smith] and Ryan over there I like our chances to put up a lot of points against some people this year. [Also], James Wilkerson has looked really good. He is a physical receiver, but he also has great hands and great speed as well. He will compliment Greg very well.

THE UPCOMING SEASON

Q: Tell me your thoughts on the upcoming game against Georgia Tech?

A: The good thing about going into Tech is that we will have some film on them this year. The thing about Tech's offense is that they lull you to sleep. They run the same plays over and over again and you might stop them for a while, but one person misses an assignment and they go for a touchdown. . . . I think you will see a higher intensity out of this year [against Tech] because we really don't have anything to lose, but at the same time we have to play sound fundamental football and play our assignments.

Last year we got in a bind field position wise. There average starting position was on about our 40 yard line. This year if we can limit the big play and make them drive the field, I think you will see a different outcome, I really do.

Q: After the Tech game you head right to FSU, what are your thoughts about that?

A: I'm personally excited about playing that game. They have a young but experienced offensive line. They are all freshmen and sophomores last year so they are all coming back. They have two guys up front, Ryan McMahon and Rodney Hudson that are All-ACC. That will be a good measuring stick for our defensive line for the rest of the year. Everybody is very excited about it. I hope people don't think we are going to be intimidated and scared to go down there and play because that is not going to be it at all. Guys are foaming at the mouth to get to that game.

Q: What OVC games do you have circled?

A: Definitely UT Martin. We play them first. Personally for me that is a big one because we lost to them last year and they are ranked pretty high up in the conference. We are all looking forward to that.

Q: You carried the ball in the spring game, will that happen any during the season?

A: I wouldn't mind if they let it happen. It will be a wait and see kind of thing!

1 comment:

  1. Brandt's comments about Monte Ellis were interesting. If you watch the youtube of Coach Crowe from yesterday, he started talking about how great Ellis could be. I believe this defensive line could be the best in the history of Jax State- Thomas (all OVC), Mays (tons of experience), T. Davis (early round NFL pick), J. Wadley (very fast dl) and dix and garrot bringing pressure from the edge.

    ReplyDelete