Monday, May 10, 2010

Interview with the softball team outfielders

The softball team has really come on strong over the last month of the season. They’ve gone 14-3 since April 1st, and go into the OVC tournament as the 2nd seed. Today, we spoke with the outfielders for the softball team; Seniors Chrissy O’Neal, Mary Beth Ledbetter, Hillary Downs, and Freshman Krystal Ruth. We’ve seen and heard about their play on the field. We wanted to take a few moments and get to know them a little better.

We’ll cover the big story first…
Q: What do you do when you’re not playing softball?

Mary Beth: Chrissy got a job.

Q: Chrissy, you got a job?

Chrissy: Yes. I accepted a job offer. I’ll start as a probation officer in Americus, GA. (Congratulations to Chrissy. She was a criminal justice major and has already graduated. She’s been taking graduate classes this semester.)

Q: Besides Chrissy finding a job, what do you do when you’re not playing softball?

Hillary: Softball takes a lot of time. When we’re not playing, we eat, sleep, and rest.

Q: What kinds of music do you like?

Mary Beth: I like country. That’s about all I listen to.

Chrissy, Hillary, and Krystal: we listen to everything, all kinds of music.

Q: Do you all get to pick the song they play when you come to bat?

All: Yes, we get to pick the song.

Q: Tell me a little about your teammates. Who is the funniest person on the team?

Hillary and Chrissy: Probably Sallie (Beth Burch).

Mary Beth: I was going to say Ashley (Eliasson).

All: It would have to be Sallie or Ashley.

Q: Who is the most competitive?

All: We can’t say there is just one person. We are all extremely competitive.

Q: Which teammate is the neatest and has to have everything in it’s place?

Chrissy: I will say Amanda (Crow). (Everyone agreed)

Q: Who has the highest GPA?

Mary Beth: Not me.

Hillary: It’s probably Chrissy.

Q: For any of you, what is the most memorable moment so far this season?

Krystal: For me, it was my first homerun.

Q: Krystal you’re a freshman. Where are you from and how did you select JSU?

Krystal: I’m from Texas. Jacksonville State showed an interest in me and I came for a visit. When I got here, it just felt right.

Q: Krystal, you’ve made a successful transition from high school to college softball. What helped the most?

Krystal: As an outfielder, I’ve gotten a lot of help from my teammates. These three seniors have been the biggest help to me. They’ve made it easy for me.

Q: We know Chrissy will be beginning her career next month. Mary Beth and Hillary, what do you plan to do after your senior season?

Mary Beth: I’ll graduate next year, then hopefully get a job and get married.

Hillary: I plan to get my masters degree at JSU.

Q: Krystal, how are you doing in your classes?

Krystal: I made all A’s this semester.

Q: What’s the biggest difference in this team from the first week of the season until now?

Hillary: We’re not even the same team.

Chrissy: We’re hitting, fielding, doing things like we are supposed to now. We’re playing like Gamecocks.

Q: You had two consecutive weekends of travel and rain-outs. No softball games for two weeks. What did you expect this weekend after all of the down time?
Chrissy: Nothing different.

Hillary: We expected to play just the way we did.

Mary Beth: We expected to win.

Q: What did you do with your time when you were on the road and all of the games got rained out?

Chrissy: We played a lot of ping pong.

Hillary: We played baseball in the hotel.

Mary Beth: While playing baseball, we thought we set off an alarm in the hotel. We later found out we didn’t do it.

Chrissy: We did get to see some of the flooding off to the side of the interstate while we were in Tennessee.

Hillary: We were wondering if we were going to be able to get back to Jacksonville.

Q: For the seniors, 10 years from now, and not counting what happens for the rest of this season, what will you remember the most from your time at JSU?

All: It would definitely be winning the regionals last year.

Hillary: Also, it’s just been so much fun being on this team. I’ll always remember how much fun it was.

Q: Do you know who you play yet in the OVC tournament?

All: No, we have to see who wins the first round game.

Q: Does it matter to you who you play?

All: No. We’ll play any team. We want to win, so we want to beat every team we play, no matter who it is.

Good luck the rest of the way ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment