Wednesday, January 25, 2012

JSU AD Koegel Pays Respects to Patterno

From the following link: http://blog.pennlive.com/bobflounders/2012/01/penn_state_football_players_pa.html, an article by Bob Flounders of the Patriot News.

Quoting:

"“Moose” showed up early, eager to get in.

He had to drive back to Philadelphia later in the day. Then there was a flight to Atlanta, followed by a 90-minute drive to Jacksonville, Ala.

Warren “Moose” Koegel, one of the co-captains of Paterno’s 1970 team, along with all-time great Jack Ham, didn’t think he could make it Tuesday. But the former offensive lineman found a window of time. He was determined not to miss the viewing.

Koegel, who is the Jacksonville State AD (and formerly the Coastal Carolina AD), woke up at 5 a.m. in Philly and drove to State College. He was there before 10.

“I’m heartbroken, very much so,” Koegel said.

“Joe has meant so much to so many people and he really loved my family, like he did every player’s families.”

So Koegel came.

“I know the family very well,” Koegel said.

“I know Sue [Joe’s wife], [sons] Jay and Scott and I don’t know all the other kids as well. But I know that family and I even fed a couple of them [baby] bottles when I was playing.

“Joe used to tell that story, ‘Moose and Jack used to babysit my kids.’¤” "

* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment