Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Q&A With Carnell Clark


One of the marquee players on this year's Jacksonville State football squad is Senior Safety Carnell Clark. Carnell has started an incredible 24 straight games for the Gamecocks and has earned numerous honors, including being named a 2008 AP Third Team All American. Clark, who goes by the nickname "Cleezy" is a preseason All American this year and a key cog in the Gamecock defense. Here is what he had to say about the season to date, JSU in general and his plans for the future:

Q: How did you wind up at JSU?

A: My senior year [JSU was] recruiting another player [on my team]. They saw me practicing and started talking to me. I had originally signed with Grambling State, but . . I wanted to be closer to home and [so] I came up here.

Q: What is it like playing for JSU's Defensive Back's Coach Toby Norwood?

A: Its great. Coach Norwood is a great coach. He has taught me a lot of new technique I didn't know. I think he has made me a better player.

Q: Most of the guys say you are the fastest player on the team?

A: I think I am. I have probably been the fastest since I came up here.

Q: Who is right behind you?

A: A.J. Davis, who plays corner.

Q: What did being named pre-season All American to you?

A: It meant a lot. I really didn't think I was going to make it this year because I didn't have that many tackles or the stats. Coach called me one day and told me I made it- I told him he was playing, but I looked it up and I made it so it really, really made me feel good.

Q: Have you developed a good rapport working with fellow senior Josh Cain?

A: As the season and the summer has gone on, we have gotten to know each other better and know how to call the defense together. Josh has really stepped up and made a lot of plays, so we are really playing good together right now.

Q: What about your back-up Keginald Harris?

A: He is going to be a great player. He's coming along. He's just a little young, but he has all the tools to be a great player, playing safety. He is big, fast and physical so I really think he is going to be good.

Q: JSU is the only school to open up with 2 top 25 opponents on the road. What was that like?

A: It gave us a lot of exposure to show people that we have a pretty good team. It was hard . . . to play two such good teams in the first two games. We had to keep our head in it and not lose faith that we were still a good team. Playing those two good teams gave us confidence.

Q: Do you think Ga. Tech and FSU underestimated our defense?

A: I believe both really did. We came out and showed that we could play too.

Q: Did you all get any satisfaction that FSU scored more on BYU and Miami than JSU?

A: It made us feel good, like we have a great defense. That's why we have the confidence that we have right now. But, we are still disappointed we didn't get the win. The way they put up the points against those other teams really made us feel like we have a special defense.

Q: Tell us about the play where FSU caught the ball on the one yard line at the end of the game?

A: That play at the end really made me mad because I kind of chipped the ball. I came off my hash to make a good break on the ball, but he still came up with it. It was a great play.

Q: Who do you think would win if FSU and Georgia Tech played on a nuetral field?

A: I'd give it to FSU.

Q: Alabama A&M had a big time wide receiver named Thomas Harris- how did you shut him down?

A: All week we knew he was one of the best players on the team. We keyed on him and just tried not to let him get off. I think our corners played real good to hold him down all night.

Q: Was it your gameplan to jump on A&M early?

A: We knew we had a great team. We felt like we outmatched them, but we still had to come out and play. So we really just wanted to start off quick and get our first win of the season. So, I think we really just came out and made a statement in the first quarter. I think we scored 14 points in the first two series.

Q: Do you guys talk about the lack of interceptions in your meetings?

A: It's something, but they are going to come in bunches. We have a lot of fumble recoveries right now. I think we are tops in the nation at fumble recoveries. But, I guess the interceptions are going to come later on in the year.

Q: Tell us about the challenges that Nichols brings to the table?

A: They run the same offense as Georgia Tech, so its going to be assignment football, its going to be difficult. Because if you make one mistake on defense its going to be a touchdown. Its going to be a good game for us to get better.

Q: The home opener is against UT Martin- are you excited about that matchup and playing against Michael Hicks, there talented wide receiver?

A: He is a great player, but we have to worry about that next week. It's going to be good to play against them though, we'll see how they look.

Q: Do you plan to play in the NFL?

A: Yes sir. I'm going to try and see what happens after this year.

Q: Who was your team growing up?

A: San Francisco, but it really doesn't matter who I play for.

Q: What do you need to improve on your game to play at the next level?

A: My hips. Mostly just my hips and learning the game. Probably gain a little weight.

Q: If you don't play in the NFL, what's your plan?

A: Probably would like to go into coaching or something [related] to football.

Q: What's your major?

A: Sociology.

Q: Are you on schedule to graduate?

A: Yes sir. I graduate in December.

Q: Where did the nickname "Cleezy" come from?

A: They started calling me that in high school because they called my brother that.

Thanks Carnell.

7 comments:

  1. These player profiles are such a nice touch. Please keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really appreciate the comment. The player profiles are one of our favorite parts of doing this. They deserve the recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. does anyone know if his nickname is Cleezy (one word) or is it Cleezy Cleezy. I heard Crow call him Cleezy Cleezy one time, but it seems redundant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. when you oing to do one on santez mays

    ReplyDelete
  5. when are you going to do one with santez mays

    ReplyDelete
  6. If Santez is willing to do an interview, we would post it next week. Putting out some feelers...

    ReplyDelete